Monday 13 July 2020

Mac To Mint… A Refreshing Change

Well, I have done it. I have ditched my Mac – after over 20 years of being a devoted Apple user – and grabbed a rather chunky Dell Latitude E5410. It has modest specs by today's standards - an i5 2.5Ghz processor, 4GB of RAM and 320GB hard drive - but I am not a heavy user.

Add caption

It might seem an odd choice, coming from a wafer thin 11” slick looking MacBook Air, to a thick black 14” beast but funds were tight and I just needed something else to use rather than a Mac.

I have grown so displeased with Apple over the last 12 months, which has been ramped up by recent bad experiences with them lately. I had been running Linux Mint on my Mac for a while and today was the day to make the switch more permanent by switching hardware too.

So I am now in the Linux camp. Mint 20 Cinnamon is a dream to use and it was the easiest OS to install, update and setup my apps on. All hardware was detected out of the box and no additional drivers were needed. For a laptop of some age performance is amazing. I have grown very attached to this Dell laptop already. It's a proper laptop with easy upgradeability.

Expect further articles to follow this as I step in to my new world of non Apple hardware and software.



Written by Simon Royal. Follow me at twitter.com/simonroyal



No comments: