Wednesday 8 July 2020

You Can't Do That In Linux! Oh Yes You Can.

I’ve been a Mac user for over 20 years and outside of the professional world using one at home would be met constantly with ‘you can’t do that on a Mac’.

I got used to it. While it wasn’t as true as people made out, the computing world was more geared towards Windows, especially when it came to small software and shareware. I remember trying to find Mac tools that could flash items to Nokia phones in the 90s and it was impossible.

Fast forward to now and Apple is huge and popular and there are far more macOS counterparts of Windows tools.

But with a recent move to Linux I was waiting for the ‘you cant do that in Linux’ to start, but it seems Apple aren’t the only ones who have become more popular over recent years, displacing Windows as your only option for a desktop operating system.

I found that most of the software I was using on my Mac - Blender, GIMP, LibreOffice, HandBrake, Reaper, Audacity, VLC- was also available for Linux and in some of the cases were available on Linux before a Mac port was created.

The move from Mac to Linux was painless. I haven’t found anything I haven’t been able to perform and even the Mac only Apple apps have great alternatives that often perform better and offer extra features.

More commercial packages are becoming available on Linux, with big names realising the potential of supporting it – although it seems Adobe aren’t doing so yet.

Even gaming on Linux has an edge over macOS, with more Linux ports of popular Windows games available than there are for macOS.

So the ‘you cant do that’ no longer hold water not only for macOS, but also extends to the world of Linux.

If you have the tech knowledge, want more freedom or fancy a challenge, you could break away from Microsoft Windows and macOS and use an open source operating system.



Written by Simon Royal. Follow me at twitter.com/simonroyal

No comments: